It’s no secret that we are loud advocates for Xero; we wholeheartedly believe it is the smartest choice for any e-commerce entrepreneur. But tools are only useful if you know how to use them. If you integrate Xero with PayPal, Stripe, and any other payment portals you are using you will simplify your accounting and ensure you have accurate figures at your fingertips at all times.
Automating your sales accounting by integrating Xero with PayPal and similar systems could not be simpler and will save time on your day-to-day accounting tasks. Additionally, it will give both you and your accountant a clear and accurate snapshot of your business through shared Xero access. Here is our how-to guide to get your Xero connected to the most popular payment portals for e-commerce entrepreneurs.
Once you integrate Xero with PayPal, Xero will automatically download your PayPal transactions every 12 hours. If you need accurate figures in the interim, you can request an instant refresh to the feed. Here’s how to get connected:
– Log in and go to the Accounting>Bank accounts>Add Bank Account
– Type PayPal and select it from the dropdown list
– Click “Login & Connect Accounts”
– Enter the Primary Email Address and Password associated with your PayPal account and “Sign On” – Select the accounts you want to integrate with Xero and click Continue
– Click “Connect my accounts”
Xero will integrate with PayPal and download all transactions from the last 180 days, or your selected date. If you wish to go back further than this you can do so manually.
Integrating Stripe to Xero is a simple procedure. If you don’t have an existing Stripe account, you can create one through Xero. If you have an existing account, just follow these steps to get up and running:
– Log into your Stripe account
– Log into Xero and go to Settings>Payment Services > Add Payment Service > Stripe
– A pop-up will ask for your name, credit card logos, payment account and fees
– Click “Connect to Stripe” and you will arrive at the Stripe interface
– In the dropdown, select the Stripe account you wish to integrate with Xero
– Click “Connect my Stripe account” and you’re done
WorldPay also integrates with Xero. It is currently the top payment portal in the UK due to its ease in handling multi-currencies, so e-commerce store owners should consider it when setting up their store. To integrate Xero and WorldPay follow these steps:
– Sign up for a WorldPay account – it is free for 30 days
– Log into Xero and go to Settings>Payment Services > Add Other>Worldpay
– Add the information as prompted and click save
– That’s all there is to it!
E-commerce entrepreneurs can add multiple Worldpay accounts to the same Xero entity.
If you run your store through Shopify, you should integrate Xero and Shopify to let Xero take care of all the heavy lifting. There are many additional free Shopify apps to tweak it to your liking. There are two main methods of connecting Shopify and Xero.
– Connect Shopify and Xero through A2X for seamless integration
– Download the Shopify app from the Xero marketplace. Follow the steps and once connected, your Xero data will be refreshed every 24 hours. Again, you will be able to request a manual refresh at any time.
Xero and Sage Pay don’t integrate directly, but you can download uCollect from the Xero marketplace to allow them to communicate.
If you need help integrating Xero with PayPal, Stripe, or any other payment portal, we are here to help. We can help your e-commerce store minimise its bookkeeping time through automation and integration. To talk to us about what we can do for your e-commerce business and its accounting process, please get in touch.
The best time to act is now.